[linux-audio-dev] surround/n-channel panning

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] surround/n-channel panning
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Mar 11 2002 - 21:09:51 EET

ignoring the subtleties of things like ambisonics and filtered
channels for the time being, am i right in thinking that surround
panning is just simple math? my mental model is:

        total_distance = 0

        foreach speaker
            speaker.distance = speaker.compute_distance (pan center);
            total_distance + speaker.distance

        foreach speaker
            speaker.pan_gain_coefficient = speaker.distance/total_distance;

i think there is more to it than this. i know that this doesn't work
for stereo, for example - it doesn't produce an equal power pan.

can someone point me at some good references?