Re: [linux-audio-dev] question regarding an alternative to theRME's PCI-to-Multiface card

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] question regarding an alternative to theRME's PCI-to-Multiface card
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 20:19:21 EET

> USB complaints are about audio throughput for >4 channels at high bit
> rates. MIDI should never be a problem.

I have heard people complaining about the midiman 8x8 USB version, now
granted, I don't have that one, but as you say, it shouldn't be a
problem. The MOTU ExpressXT works like a champ :)

Now here is an interesting question I heard at the studio the other
day. The guy running it has the midiman USB, and tech support told him
you CANNOT run more than one midiman at a time on the USB bus. Does
anyone know if this is true? He said it was true of the XT Express, but I
don't believe it. I need to find someone who has 2 running USB to
see. The driver for the XT has setting for multiple units.

Finally, as a reference to anyone using mac hardware. The midiman claims
it can be used with older devices using its serial interface. A friend of
mine bought one to use this way (legacy) and the drivers do not work. He
spent an hour on the phone with one of the actual engineers of the card
and he got from the guy that the serial port won't work (design flaw
maybe). I am only repeating what I heard, I cannot vouch for the
accuracy, but just a point in case anyone was looking at this hardware.

Rick

> --p

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |