Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 2002 - 01:49:51 EET

> this all looks good, but i still don't understand how this differs
> from the ALSA sequencer (except that the sequencer does everything
> you've listed, and more besides; it handles merging, for example).

That is the difference. Because it doesn't handle merging and more
complex scheduling it is a more accurate representation of the
hardware.

A seperate mixer application could be written for merging. The more
complex sequencing will mostly be done in the application itself.

> btw: i don't understand your use of the term "low level" here. my
> sense of a "low level MIDI API" is one that deals only in terms of raw
> bytes to be delivered directly to a MIDI device.

This can not be supported for many interfaces. It would also make the
seperate scheduled and immediate stream hard if not impossible to
implement.

> as soon as you start
> dealing with structured MIDI data, scheduling etc., it seems to me as
> if its not low level anymore. what would a "high level MIDI API" be
> for you?

The ALSA Sequencer. This allows merging and high level sequencing,
both of which are nontrivial and should better be kept apart from the
basic API for interface access.

--martijn