RE: [linux-audio-dev] USB Souncards

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] USB Souncards
From: tapio laxström (tapio_AT_iptime.fi)
Date: Thu Mar 14 2002 - 11:05:07 EET

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, James Mansion wrote:
> Hmm. I mean, have you actually listened to it and compared
> to a midrange CD player?

I haven't done any 'real test', but it sounds really good :)

> Anyhow, I don't see how you are going to run many channels
> at 24/96 down USB 1.1. Looks like 2.4Mbit/s per channel,
> excluding framing etc.
>
> Isn't it pushing the bus to run all 6 channels at 24/48?

EMI 2|6 works like this:
First of all sample rate setting is device width so all inputs and
outputs operates on same sample rate.
Because of usb 1.1 bandwidth EMI has some limitations; Only inputs or
outputs can operate on 24bit mode (24bit in --> 16bit out and 24bit out
--> 16bit in). When sample rate is set to 96 kHz the number of output
channels is limited to 2 (at this moment this is my situation on Linux
side anyway, because of usb audio driver).

--
best regards