Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA => OSS compatibility

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA => OSS compatibility
From: Joshua Haberman (joshua_AT_haberman.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 20:03:35 EET

* Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net) wrote:
> Depends on what you mean by portable. Personally, I'd recommend the
> PortAudio library if portability matters to you. It will prepare your
> application for future interaction with interesting audio systems much
> better than OSS or ALSA API's will. http:/www.portaudio.com/

In an earlier mail, you said that PortAudio would soon support JACK and
perhaps ALSA. Are you planning to write these yourself? I planned to
write an ALSA layer a few months ago, but ALSA didn't work for me at that
time and I lost interest. In any case, your intimate knowledge of ALSA
would definitely make for superior implmementation.

If you aren't planning to write an ALSA layer yourself, do you have any
suggestions for the person who does?

The JACK FAQ says that "it is not clear that [PortAudio] works at
hardware-level latencies." Do you still hold this view? (I'm assuming
your wrote the FAQ). What in the API would prevent it from achieving
hardware-level performance?

Joshua

--
Joshua Haberman  <joshua_AT_haberman.com>