Re: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Mar 16 2002 - 23:50:08 EET

On Saturday 16 March 2002 13.59, Paul Davis wrote:
[...]
> the event-centered discussions we had here about MAIA. I'm not sure
> I like all the details of VST's method for handling this, but I do

Which parts don't you like?

The thing that disturbs me the most is the "extra" process call for
passing the events, and the array used to hold pointers to the
events. I can see why they added a new call (which is no excuse to do
it in a new API), but the array... How would you go about allocating
one if you need to send a bunch of events somewhere? Oh, right, you
send events one by ony, using a function call...

This is how I prefer to do it, host and plugin sides alike:
---8<------------------------------------------------------------
static inline void audio_ev_write(audio_evport_t *evp,
                audio_event_t *ev)
{
        ev->next = NULL;
        if(!evp->first)
                evp->first = evp->last = ev; /* Oops, empty port! */
        else
        {
                evp->last->next = ev;
                evp->last = ev;
        }
}
------------------------------------------------------------>8---
(BTW, this is not from MAIA, but from my current multimedia audio
engine project - which actually seems to turn into a potential
testbed for MAIA. I just added a simple event system, as the voice
mixer code becoming too hairy. It actually seems to make things
simpler overall, which not even I, "Mr. Event System", would have
thought from the start... In short, it tends to eliminate redundant
calculations by design.)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'