[linux-audio-dev] Watchdogs?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Watchdogs?
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Mar 19 2002 - 19:35:02 EET

Just wondering if there's any consensus on the use of
watchdogs. I just locked up my box playing with yet another
fun freshly-downloaded soundapp from sourceforge...
(amsynth in this case, but I've seen lockups many many times
before). Let's face it, it ain't hard to freeze the box and
kill the keyboard when you're running as root with realtime
priority. The "Magic SysReq" keys are useless if you get
no response from the keyboard...

It's not as scary as it used to be now that I use journalling
filesystems, so I can reboot real quick and not corrupt
my data. But still, it sucks to have to power down to get
out of anything.

So, what do we do? Watchdog? In hardware or software?
Seems intuitive to me that a hardware watchdog would be the
most reliable, but I haven't looked into it. What's a good
one, and what do they cost?

--

Paul Winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com "Muppet Labs, where the future is made - today!"