Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux and clocks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux and clocks
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Fri Mar 22 2002 - 18:46:25 EET

> >if someone is interested, I just prepared a small web page about firm
> >timers: http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~luca/firm.html On this page, you can
> >find a small paper describing some experiments and a kernel patch
> >implementing firm timers.
>
> fantastic work! this looks like the KURT patch done in a way that
> might be more acceptable to Linus, and even if not, at least its a
> patch for a relatively current kernel. where are you planning to to go
> with this?

As Paul said, this is fantastic! I've tried it today and it works great.
Also
I noticed that the accuracy is runtime adjustable using the /proc interface.
With this patch (and the low-latency/preempt patches) Linux performs
just as good as BeOS, maybe even better, good enough for decent
user space MIDI. Know all we need is for CLOCK_MONOTONIC
to be implemented.

I would love to see this patch added to 2.5.

--martijn