[linux-audio-dev] OSS, Solaris, BSD?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] OSS, Solaris, BSD?
From: John Meacham (john_AT_repetae.net)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 07:55:33 EET

I really like the idea behind jack and would like to see it succeed.
standard libraries and API's are very much in demand in this area. In
any case, in the interest of universal adoption, as well as my inability
to use ALSA on all my systems for a variety of reasons i was wondering
whether native support for OSS and Solaris and BSD systems (which i
believe use a variant of OSS usually) could be added/are being worked
on? i think this is _very important_ for adoptation/experimentation with
jack as right now a large percentage of people cannot just go to the
site and compile it and have it work. this would be important if i were
to base software i intend to generally distribute on jack.

On an unrelated note, has any work gone into implementing MIDI/generic
sequencing capabilities with jack? I know it has been discussed, but was
unsure whether it has ever gotten past the concept stage. the reason i
ask is that i developed a rudimentary sequencer daemon which let me
schedule events to/from /dev/midi and a variety of serial port midi
interfaces. it seems that there would be a great value added by being
able to integrate the timing/event features of the daemon with the jack
timing mechanism which would allow midi events to be synchronized to the
playing of sound. it seems to me that this can be acomplished simply by
allowing the coorespondence between frames and sequencer timestamps to
be determined. (assuming you already have a reasonably complete
sequencer API.) Just a thought.

        John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john_AT_repetae.net