Re: [linux-audio-dev] alsa midi device name extension proposal.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] alsa midi device name extension proposal.
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 18:14:51 EET

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 04:33, Stefan Kost wrote:
> hi,
>
> as a small suggestion, what about using xml via libxml2 (www.libxml.org) for the fileformat. This way, you don't
> need to write a parser and furthermore you know that whats you read is indeed a devicespec. Example
> <device name="r0x0r tranc3m4chine">
> <contection>
> <interface>name of mididev"</interface>
> <port>1</port>
> </connection>
> <banks>
> <bank name="rezocool phasers" msb="31" lsb="22">
> <patches>
> <patch nr="1" name="super acid pad"/>
> <patch nr="2" name="cool juicy 303 thing ">
> <controller>...</controller>
> </patch>
> </patches>
> </bank>
> <bank>
> </bank>
> </banks>
> </device>
>

> Stefan

I'm curious about how this config file is going to be used. The interest
I have in a MIDI instrument querying API is the querying protocol
itself. I thought that the synth on the other end of the MIDI port (say
an ALSA sequencer port) would just interface to this API. No need to
know how this synth stores the actual patch info. It could be in a sound
font or a fixed set of sounds for an analog synth. How useful would a
static config file be in this API? Perhaps I'm missing something.. Ohh,
a thought just occurred to me. You're probably thinking of this for
external MIDI devices that don't have a method of communicating what
patches they have? Hmm. Sorry for my ramblings :) Cheers!
        Josh Green