Re: [linux-audio-dev] Watchdogs?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Watchdogs?
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 19:55:46 EET

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 19.03, Paul Davis wrote:
[...]
> this idea has been discussed here quite a bit. however, its much,
> much harder to do this *between* different processes. again, there
> is no way to tell that a SCHED_FIFO thread has gone wrong from "its
> just very busy", and you can't even really identify either of these
> conditions.

In the case of real time applications, I'd say it's rather easy: If a
thread is frequently missing deadlines, while burning all CPU time it
gets, something is wrong.

Now, there's still this creepy situation where the real time threads
actually *meet* their deadlines - while leaving no CPU time to other
processes. *heh*

How about bouncing a message of some sort to a lowest priority
SCHED_FIFO thread, and check that it actually responds?

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'