Re: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] changing control port values with LADSPA: a serious issue?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Wed Apr 03 2002 - 15:04:15 EEST

>I though further about the problem with changing parameter values. So what I w
>ould like to know is what SampleCount
>values are authors of plugin-host are typically using ?
>E.g. SampleCount of 256 at 44100 hz would mean about 6ms between each paramete
>r change. If we are using values low
>as this then the host could care about delivering smoth data.

i think the consensus seems to be that its the responsibility of the
plugin to smooth (interpolate) parameters that may need smoothing,
since only it can know (1) if they need it (2) how best to do it.

what is needed more than anything here is an additional note in
ladspa.h to make sure that plugin authors (of whom there are only a
few right now) understand that they should not use the control port
values as-is unless it is for a parameter that never needs smoothing
(e.g. a switch parameter).

--p