[linux-audio-dev] Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?

New Message Reply About this list Date view Thread view Subject view Author view Other groups

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?
From: Pablo Silva (isorritmia_AT_yahoo.com.mx)
Date: Fri Apr 05 2002 - 23:39:33 EEST

Hi:

I hope someone in this list doesn't mind some questions from a newbie...

I'm recent to linux and programming in general, but would like to get as proficient as possible
because of professional reasons (I'm director of an electroacoustic music studio in Mexico). My
own machine is an Apple Powerbook Titanium, which I have set up as a dual boot machine with Suse
7.3 PPC and Apple OSX/9.2, after some noxious trouble with OSX and an external hard drives'
driver...

The thing is that I wanted to ask you all in this list a couple questions:

1) How many binaries for apps are there out there specifically for PPC linux? Everything I've
found seems to assume Linux on Intel...

2) How difficult would it be to compile your avergage source for audio software for the PPC
platform? Are there any snags I should be aware of? Is it just not the time yet to jump into this
because of the lack of libraries or something like that that should be available later?

3) And most important... I'm trying to begin to program a small piece of interface software (as a
first step and proff of concept towards something bigger later) . I've wondered whether to start
working with Java or tcl/tk, C(++) or just work in OSX's Project Builder app, and I know there are
a lot of issues involved in the choice, about which I'm not too knowledgeable. I'm concerned too
about code portability. What I basically intend to do is use a graphical front end to control
random parameter routines to then generate Csound scores, though I would need to be able to map
the same user interface responses to different routines later when needed (moving away from Csound
later). So my main concentration for some time would be on interface criteria, not direct
time-critical audio generating code.

4) I wonder whether any of you have heard of the state of the Cecilia front-end software? Their
FTP server is down, as is their listserver. And though I heard that they were at some time trying
to get an open-source development group going, I haven't been able to find anything on that
through several Google searches...

Thanks for your help, and I expect to be participating later in your discussions.

Sincerely

Pablo Silva

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
La emoción e intensidad del deporte en Yahoo! Deportes. http://deportes.yahoo.com.mx

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b28 : Fri Apr 05 2002 - 23:27:33 EEST