[linux-audio-dev] Re: Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?
From: Niklas Werner (niklas_AT_gigant.kgw.tu-berlin.de)
Date: Sun Apr 07 2002 - 14:54:20 EEST

Hi All!
Silent Listener....

I run Linux intel and PPC (SuSE 7.3) and are _not_ having many
difficulties compiling apps for Linux-ppc. Fortunately most applications
do take care of endianess. It's just the odd two or three apps that are
using some intel-specific asm-code (normally the dvd-software). But
normally it's just a matter of editing a few *.h-files to get rid of
that... Sometimes there is a guru friendly enough to include
AltiVec-Code, so the apps don't crawl *that* much in comparison to their
intel-variant (especially lame really is much slower....)

ALSA does run fine on PPC (As does the EMI 2|6-USB-Interface ;-))

In comparison to OsX I much prefer Linux on my PowerBook. After getting
used to pd instead of (j)MAX I only miss SuperCollider for Linux...
I really hate the OsX Terminal.app and that BSD-thinking, but maybe it's
just a matter of getting used to it...

just my 0.02 EUR

Have fun*

Niklas

PS. If anybody is interested: On
http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~wernern/Assets/emi26test/ I made some crude
measurements of the EMI2|6 using the OSS-drivers