Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA plugins with oversampling - digital audio restoration

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA plugins with oversampling - digital audio restoration
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 13:10:42 EEST

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 09:33:35 -0700, welty_AT_harbornet.com wrote:
> It looks like a LADSPA plugin, by the time it sees the
> data is only seeing a subset of the data -- potentially.
> If that subset of data is the entire portion of the

This isn't a problem, most plugins contain a ringbuffer that holds enough
historical data to perform thier processing.

The data sent (between activate and deactivate) is guaranteed to be
sequential, so this is fine.

> Would it be a problem if the output data buffer pointed
> to the same memory location as the input data buffer (which
> is what GWC does right now using mmaped wavfiles)?

Generally no, but plugins are allowed to say that they won't work in this
case, by setting LADSPA_PROPERTY_INPLACE_BROKEN. I don't know of any that
do, but there may be some.

- Steve