Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Thu Apr 11 2002 - 18:44:37 EEST

Hi,
Dave Phillips wrote:

> I've been mucking about with my system since upgrading to RH 7.2,
> particularly WRT the C/C++ compiler. Recently I've been ridding the
> system of duplicate and outdated libraries. I found some earlier
> versions of libgtk and friends (glib, gmodule, gthread) and dumped them
> into a temp file. The supposedly working version of Gtk here is 1.2.10,

Check: Did you run ldconfig (as root) after removing those
duplicate/outdated libraries in order to re-create the /etc/ld.so.cache?
Does "ldconfig -v" show any errors about links to non-existing shared
library objects?

> ditto for Glib and Gmodule. gtk-config is located at /usr/local/bin and
> is found by ./configure (in say, SoundTracker's sources) but the Gtk
> test fails with this message:
>
> checking for gtk-config... /usr/local/bin/gtk-config
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.2... no
> *** Could not run GTK test program, checking why...

When a configure script runs, it creates a config.log file - look into
it to see the actual reason why the program could not be run (I could
imagine something like "shared library could not be found", which would
confirm my suspicion above about your /etc/ld.so.cache being outdated).

[..]

> I recompiled Trommler (it doesn't use autoconf) :
>
> [dlphilp_AT_localhost Trommler]$ make
> cc -Wall -O9 `gtk-config --cflags` -c -o drummer.o drummer.c
> cc -Wall -O9 `gtk-config --cflags` -c -o gui.o gui.c
> cc -Wall -O9 `gtk-config --cflags` -c -o soundcard.o soundcard.c
> cc -o trommler drummer.o gui.o soundcard.o `gtk-config --libs`
>
> but the binary is now four times larger than the previous build (pre-dlp
> fubar) and segfaults before it draws to the screen. Existing Gtk-based
> binaries appear to be working fine.

If the binary suddenly grows in size, you have probably linked against a
static version if libgtk/libglib, probably because the "libxxx.so" link
stubs for the shared libraries have gone. Look at what "gtk-config
--libs" actually outputs as its search path ("-L") so you can tell from
where it tries to bring in the link libraries.

> If this is a familiar condition could someone turn me towards the
> light ? I prefer to avoid a system reinstallation if possible, but any
> advice is greatly appreciated.

We should be able to get this fixed without reinstallation; my guess
would be you have not completed all of the clean-up tasks yet.

Greetings,
Frank