Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Interesting read on modelling instruments
From: Nick Bailey (n.j.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Apr 12 2002 - 11:05:29 EEST

This patenting of a differential equation --- doesn't it just
illustrate how utterly ridiculous this all is? This very
stuff was taught to me in the 1980s when I was an undergrad.
Suddenly, apparently, it belongs to someone.

Perhaps Newton should have patented the idea in the first
place. Although recent discoveries of documents in ancient
Greek, according to a program broadcast by BBC TV recently,
demonstrate that integral calculus was actually invented by
Archimedes.

I was going to start writing a new topic for my Audio
Programming course about linear prediction and phase
vocoding... maybe I'll do acoustic waveguides instead. We
already have a course in Acoustics which covers most of the
maths.

Nick/