Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ? FOLLOW-UP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ? FOLLOW-UP
From: Dave Phillips (dlphilp_AT_bright.net)
Date: Sat Apr 13 2002 - 20:52:33 EEST

Greetings:

Thanks to all who responded to my original query. I've been led to some
interesting points, and I promise I'll never screw up my system this
badly ever again...uhh, well, I think I won't...

Tim Goetze wrote:

> debian, the sooner the better. :)

That's starting to look like my best option. However, I did decide to
build libc myself: I acquired sources from GNU and had no troubles
building a new libc.so.6 under GC 2.95.3. However, the existing
documentation on installation over existing systems is a bit confusing
and/or out of date (the FAQ at GNU advises building with the latest
2.2.x headers), so I'm now at a decisive point: Can I simply replace the
old libs (libm, libc, libpthreads) with the new ones and expect things
to work on reboot ? I know I'll have to replace the older include files
for development and compiling work, but that doesn't bother as much as
the concern for breakage on reboot. For example, I'm wondering whether
the kernel will work okay or will it panic and die on boot ? I'm okay
for backups and boot disks, but it would be nice to avoid a tragic
consequence.

The excitement never ends here... ;)

Best regards,

== Dave Phillips