Re: [linux-audio-dev] best method for timing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] best method for timing
From: Tim Goetze (tim_AT_quitte.de)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 14:01:00 EEST

Juan Linietsky wrote:

>RTC is cool, but has the problem that only one program can use it
>at the same time. Do you know if there is any patch aviable to
>make RTC shareable? I know RTC works by using int 8 in x86
>and that high timings in a very old machine can hog the cpu due
>to the high amount of irq calls. But in the case of nowadays
>computers, i dont see why it should be a problem to have rtc enabled
>by default to the max speed and give each client frequencies based on
>divisors of it.

try 8192 Hz once and look at the system load, you'll find a good
reason not to do this even on recent systems.

you can share the rtc by using takashi's patch and using it as an
ALSA sequencer timer, or you can simply 'hand on' the pulse to
another process by means of sockets/fifos or msgsnd(2). implemented
correctly, this should perform as good as a kernel solution.

tim