Re: [linux-audio-dev] new announce list

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] new announce list
From: Joern Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 01:34:23 EEST

Andy Wingo wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Matthias Weiss wrote:
>
> > Joern,
> > it's high time to say THANK YOU for your work
> > on keeping this list running, thanx alot.
>
> I was thinking this as well :-) -- so thanks, yo.

thanks very much, guys. :-D

> A question, though; I note that there is now an -announce list. In the
> welcome note it states that copying -user and -dev is encouraged...
> why's that?

the idea is this:
all the announcements are perfectly on-topic on LAD and/or LAU.
when posting an announcement, copy -user and/or -dev because in 99%
of all cases people have questions, comments etc. and for those, the
announce list is not the right place.

>If folks want announcements, imo they should sign up to
> -announce, and the mail-followup-to should be set to -user or -dev.

i don't want to coerce LAD and LAU readers to subscribe to yet
another mailing list in order not to miss announcements that belong
on lad/lau anyway.
the announce list is basically for people who don't want to follow
LAD/LAU/other audio lists and still not miss important news, not to
remove the important news from LAD/LAU :)
i hope that many guys who run audio news sites can use this, and
also distro people and casual audio users.

for this to work, it's not really necessary that many LAD and LAU
readers subscribe to LAA - only that *all* newsworthy announcements
be cc:ed there. otoh, by asking for cc:s to -user and -dev on the
LAA page, i wanted to reiterate that those places are where the real
action is.
i'm thinking about advertising the announce list on alsa and other
audio lists after we have agreed what it should be like, and in that
case, the statement should probably be changed to "copy relevant
discussion lists"...

the announce list is a reaction to many inquiries i got in private
mail (iirc, wingo was one of them).
your comments to help specify its aims and scope are very welcome.
please consider the existing topics definition a working draft that
is subject to public discussion.

jörn