[linux-audio-dev] some problem.. muse skips on cpu load with my softsynth

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] some problem.. muse skips on cpu load with my softsynth
From: Juan Linietsky (coding_AT_reduz.com.ar)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 06:44:08 EEST

Well, i ran into this weird issue. I got to try out MUSE (that cakewalk-like program) with Saturno (the dx7 emu) registered as a sequencer client.

Still, even when saturno uses nearly no cpu (1% maybe), I play a song,
and the result is that the timing goes all weird when the cpu load increases a bit (to maybe, 4,5%) I'm not sure what
is happening. Muse uses /dev/rtc at 4khz. saturno uses the typical
while (needs_mixing) mix(); with a small buffersize.
If i set MUSE suid and give it top priotity, then it skips less
but still does with "high" cpu loads (3 or 4%). If i set MUSE
to midiout and use my roland, it will not skip at all, but if i start another process using a bit of cpu, muse goes crazy. This doesnt happen with shaketracker which doesnt even use midi timecodes (sends data as fast as it can), so, anyone has a rough idea about what might be the cause?
Is this muse's fault? (it's so widely used that i doubt about it),
is it alsa sequencer's fault? or maybe i'm not doing something in saturno
to ensure that the timing will work?

Regards

Juan Linietsky