Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Can RME HDSP Multiface be used for 5.1 Dolby or 7.1 Dolby Surround output?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Can RME HDSP Multiface be used for 5.1 Dolby or 7.1 Dolby Surround output?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Sun Apr 28 2002 - 19:06:33 EEST

>Hi all,
>
>I was just wondering if RME Hammerfall can be used for Dolby surround
>output via its optical (SPDIF) output going into an AC-3 decoder. Is

AFAIK, the S/PDIF output is always stereo, never AC-3. I don't know
much about AC-3, but I don't know of any way to get anything but 2
channel i/o from the S/PDIF side of the Hammerfall. There may be ways
to do this that have to do with generic S/PDIF settings.

>this something that is supported in the current drivers (in Win/Mac
>obviously since Linux drivers are not ready yet)?

The Hammerfall drivers work and have done for at least 2 years. The
H-DSP driver, which is mostly a modification of the Hammerfall driver,
should be ready by the middle of next week unless there are unexpected
suprises.