Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 21:11:41 EEST

>Basically you're imagining a device that can take a single, 24-volt
>battery, or two 12V batteries,

I'm thinking combinations of serial and parallel sets of NiCd or NiMH. Price and size are definitely a factor here.

>and produces well-regulated +12V, +5V, -5V, -12V, and +3.3V from it.
>All you should really need to do that is some resistors, diodes, and
>regulators.

Care to draw a diagram for me? I can easily get it made here (Korea) but I need to have the specs first.

I appreciate people chipping in with ideas on design. For instance how easy would it be to get a charger built in to the design?

It's not a get rich quick scheme but I like to think something valuable will come out of this.

>I don't know what kind of load the motherboard places on
>those various supplies and I can't really afford to fry a motherboard
>or two in experimentation. :)

Part and parcel of the prototype experiment.

>It ain't professional unless you pay for it. ;-)

I am... relationship, internet connection, website, time spent online when I could be doing other things.(Don't ask me what ;)

>See e.g. http://www.compute-aid.com/atxspec.html
>where it says a P4 needs the 5V supply to be capable of 20A.
>20A is a LOT. 5 * 20 = 100 watts.

Looking closer at the manual has revealed that it is actually a microATX board. Unfortunately that page you sent doesn't say anything about the power rating/demands for those kind of boards. Also remember that it is a pIII which currently runs on a 125watt power supply. According to that page PIV requires 230watt minimum.

BTW yesterday I said it was 100x150mm but it is actually 150x200mm.

>Are you sure you don't want to use notebook components? :)

PCI

I'd love to use notebook components if they weren't so friggin expensive! Perhaps that will come in the next generation or two.

BTW. The other day I read in the local rag that LG and some large petrochem company which owns the rights for fuel cells have finalised their design for Notebook batteries. I hope to be able to use this technology in the near future. If I understand fuel cells correctly they are exactly what we need to get uncompromised recordings while in the field. Combine extremely long battery life with extremely large capacity notebook hdd's and we have days of stereo recording or more tracks when they release notebook hdds capable of 7200rpm. 60GB is the largest I've seen so far.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

_____________________________________________________________ Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net