Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.
From: clee_AT_spiralis.merseine.nu
Date: Wed May 01 2002 - 21:47:41 EEST

Steve Harris writes:
> On Wed, May 01, 2002 at 09:39:56 -0700, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > AC PSU in your computer. Seems daft, since the PSU then
> > converts the result back into DC of various voltages...
> > but that may be the most economical and expedient solution.
>
> Looks like you can get 24volt off the shelf ones too:
> http://www.currentsolutions.com/search/dc_to_dc/pc-atx.htm
>
> disclaimer: I know nothing about electronics, I can just about add up ;)
>
> - Steve

Just to put in my $0.02

The 24V DC-DC mentioned may be an excellent option. It should be more efficient
that going the "battery DC -> inverter AC -> DC" route giving you longer
performance time. Plus, it looks very convenient in that it can also use line
AC voltages. Depending on your application enviroment, the bigest advantage
could be that you avoid the noise that the inverters sometimes produce. Those
small "Wall wart" switching type AC to DC converters are a huge pain when used
in our lab becaues the often times produce tons of noise (gets picked up by our
high-impedience amplifiers/samplers). In a fixed environment, you can run around
and shield everything, adjust cables, etc., but I can imagine in a live, on-site
performance, you might get switching noise cross-talk at just the wrong time.

good luck
  -chris