Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Thu May 02 2002 - 20:21:49 EEST

>i tend to agree. it seems to me you are re-inventing a wooden
>carriage wheel when there's aluminum hi-tech ones available at every
>corner shop.

>can't you get in touch with korean notebook suppliers and use stuff
>that's already there ? i doubt you can be significantly cheaper than
>a notebook with COS hardware, just about 10 times as bulky and
>heavy...

As far as I know the only way to plug a PCI card into notebook components is to get a pcmcia-PCI adapter.

I want this machine to be useful for people who already have a trusted PCI soundcard, they know how to use it and what it's capabilities are.

The only way I can see to get round this would be to design a notebook mobo that had pci slots. That is slightly beyond my current timescale or capabilities. I'm sure there are people on this list who could do it though.

Hence I decided to go for the smallest ATX motherboard I could find. 150X200mm isn't too bad. This machine could also be used as a realtime fx box if someone so desired. Other people will also want to dual boot(Linux only of course) and do their main production work with it. So the more cpu power available for those tasks the better.

Another plus for using this board is that you can plug in over a gig of sdram if you want.

Like I said earlier though. This is just a prototype and I intend it to get smaller. If you make a comparison between this and my other machine then you may see a pattern evolving.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

_____________________________________________________________ Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net