Re: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released
From: Likai Liu (news_AT_likai.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 18:52:42 EEST

I have a few things to say about the whole desktop environment thing.
First of all, if you think there is a project that should or shouldn't
be using a particular desktop environment unlike the way it is now, you
should write your code, submit the patch, optionally try to convince the
project maintainers to accept the patch; otherwise at your freedom you
may fork the project and start a new one, like mplayer and mplayerxp
did, or GNU emacs and Xemacs.

Second, from a proper software engineering point of view, a large scale
application like a sequencer is better off not to write everything from
scratch, so using some desktop environment function is natural. As
Richard Bown said, rosegarden uses DCOP to communicate different
portions. However, there is no easy way to write an interprocess
communication that is portable. Using posix messages/shared memory is
one alternative, but I'm not sure how effective it is for rosegarden. As
DCOP communicates over unix sockets, does anyone know about the
performance implications between sockets and posix messages in general?

Anyhow, I'm not arguing for either rosegarden should or should not use
KDE. I might say it would be nice if the code can be compiled with KDE
turned off, like the licq qt-plugin, but I think it really isn't up to
me to say that. ;-)

liulk