Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released

Subject: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] ANNOUNCE: Rosegarden-4 v0.1.5 released
From: Rick Burnett (destinytech_AT_spacey.net)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 19:30:01 EEST

I think you might be missing Paul's point. While yes I use KDE on
both the Solaris side and the Linux side everyday, not everyone does.
By using the KDE libraries you lock yourself into someone using a
system that has KDE. If I were building a standalone system that only
did music applications I would NOT use KDE. Not for an integrated
system, there is just way to much overhead (have you seen the memory
it uses).

What I think is trying to be conveyed is that by using just a GUI
Toolkit you allow your application to be open to any desktop
environment and therefore allow it to be used across the entire
spectrum. It's more helpful advise than anything else. Look at it
this way. If person A writes their application for Gnome and person B
writes their application for KDE and both are dependent on the
Desktop environment, someone who loves both programs is going to
either have to just pick one or port one. This is why taking the
desktop out of the equation is so important for making linux a very
powerful music workstation OS where you have the ultimate in usability
and customization.

Just me 2 cents.

Rick