Re: [linux-audio-dev] Redhat 7.3

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Redhat 7.3
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano (nando_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 07:05:33 EEST

> Seems that Red Hat's latest mainline 2.4.18 kernel has the low-latency patch.

Yep, but regretfully it has "most but not all" of it (according to the
spec file comments):

  # improve interactive "feel" by reducing latency
  # (most but not all of Andrew Morton's low latency patch)
  #
  %patch740 -p1

Not long ago I tried kernel 2.4.18-0.22 from Rawhide and "most" was not
enough for low latency audio work, at least in my limited tests (I was
testing it to see if I could just switch to the "standard" redhat kernel
instead of mantaining my own kernel rpms). I did not check to see what was
omitted but it was enough to create alsa dropouts while using jack and
ardour (as compared to a plain 2.4.18-pre7 plus the full glorious low
latency patch :-)

But I have not tried 7.3 or its kernel yet... maybe they included more of
the low latency patch than in the one I tried.

-- Fernando