[linux-audio-dev] audio project

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio project
From: Henry Gomersall (heng_AT_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 08 2002 - 21:05:04 EEST

I am new to this mailing list so forgive me if this has been answered 20
times previously.

I am new to C programming (although not new to programming in general).
In fact, this is my first real project and my motivation for learning C.
So please forgive me if this is obvious. It is just I have found the
ALSA documentation fairly cryptic.

Essentially all I require is a function that returns a block of data
from the mic in on my sound card for further processing (namely a DFT).I
need to capture this data at regular intervals. So let's say I sample at
44kHz and do a 1024 sample FFT, I need a function that returns to me the
data every time a new 1024 sample block is available - which i can then
pass to my FFT function.

I have been looking at ALSA for this. Is this the best option?

Any help at all (however apparently trivial) would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Henry Gomersall