Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Likai Liu (news_AT_likai.net)
Date: Mon May 13 2002 - 06:40:04 EEST

Richard Guenther wrote:

>The easiest solution to this kind of problem (parameter change faster than
>nr. of run() calls) is to make the parameter (here: the envelope) another
>audio input stream - this way you get 1:1 parameter:sample mapping. The
>host can be used to feed generated waves to such a port quite easily [for
>GLAME we of course use another plugin for this wave generation, but that
>again is not possible with LADSPA].
>
>Richard.

No, audio port is meant solely for audio only. One of the things: you
cannot supply a hint on the data you pass as audio stream. What about a
host that doesn't know a plugin's audio stream is supposed to be
parameter:sample control? This is one of the things I've thought over,
but passing data in audio stream violates ladspa design principles (if I
perceive them correctly). I know we're all trying to squish some
features into existing LADSPA, but I think using one tag
(LADSPA_PORT_AUDIO) to represent both datatypes (audio stream and
control parameter) is a really bad idea. That's why I'd rather want a
new LADSPA_PORT_ARRAY instead. At least plugins can be disabled for
those hosts that elect not to support arrays.

Again, mind you that arrays need not be envelopes. Arrays can be used to
generalize any multidimensional data.

liulk