Re: [linux-audio-dev] Jack API query

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Jack API query
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 14:55:52 EEST

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:17:37 +0100, hgomersall_AT_blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
> 2. How do I define my own audio types? For example, I wish to import 16bit stereo PCM data from my CD player in 1024 sample chunks. In this case, do i need to set up 2 ports (one for each audio channel) with a buffer of 2048 bytes each? If so, how do I tell the jack server to feed me data encoded to 16 bits? and how do I define a port as belonging to a particular audio channel? If not, how do I define and use a stereo source?

In that case, you don't need to create a new type, you just convert the`
16bit ints to float and send them over two ports, left and right.

There is nothing special about stereo, you just connect to two different
ports.

> 3. When is 'process()' called (as set by 'int jack_set_process_callback(...). Is it when the buffer is full? If so, is it controlled by the jack server? Presumably, the ideal situation is that all processing is done and the program is waiting (in a loop?) before the 'process()' function is called, thus allowing the program to process the next chunk of data?

process() is called when there is a block available for you to process.
Your program doesn't have to wait, its process() function will just be
called by jack, when its appropriate.

Have a look at the example apps.

- Steve