[linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Supporting authors of free software
From: Tom (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Sat May 18 2002 - 05:22:39 EEST

A recent thread on ardour-dev, regarding the possibility of changing the
license of ardour, got me thinking about a possible solution to the
issue of unethical individuals using the GPL as a tool for taking unfair
advantage of the authors of free software. The potential for this kind
of abuse is sometimes seen as a shortcoming of the GPL. Addressing the
issue from this angle typically solves nothing, and the issue recedes
into the background but doesn't disappear. This is because the GPL is
not the problem. The problem is that this is a two part issue, the GPL
adequately addresses only one part, and the second part has yet to be
addressed in a formal way (to the best of my knowledge).

The two issues are;
1) the software
2) the authors of the software

The GPL is about the software. It's use is arguably the best exercise
of copyrights that an author can perform to insure that the software
will become the best that it can be.

When a software author releases a work under the GPL, he sets the
software free and, in doing so, looses most of the techniques for
exploiting copyrights that are otherwise allowed by law. The two big
ones are in the areas of development (derivative works) and distribution
(selling copies). This implies that any method for supporting the
authors and maintainers of free software must be voluntary.

Can a voluntary method work?
I think so. I once overheard a conversation between political strategy
folks. The comment that stood out was "Count your yes votes". In this
case it means ignore all of the users, developers, and distributors who
would always take unfair advantage of others unless legally prevented
from doing so. Focus only on the number of end users, developers,
distributors who *want* to "do the right thing". If the number of
people in this category is high enough, and I think it is, free software
authors will be supported and can let go of all concerns in this area.

Will an organized campaign be needed to inform and educate end users as
to how they can best support the authors of free software in the areas
of development and distribution?
I think so. Make it clear and easy for users to submit bug reports,
learn about forking, find information regarding suggested financial
contributions, and see what individuals and organizations are known to
be honoring or not honoring this method. Ultimately, if this idea
reaches critical mass, products that are derived from free software
without honoring the authors will be boycotted.

Is this a timely issue?
I think so. Up to now, very few linux users have been pure end users.
As a result there is cultural support within the development community
that doesn't exist outside of the development community. The rate of
development of projects like ardour, jack, alsa, and a latency-aware
kernel suggest that pure end users (like myself) will soon have a
compelling reason to use free software as our main tools. And this goes
beyond audio. It is relevant to all end user desktop applications.

So my idea is;
CDDP
Cooperative Development and Distribution Program

The CDDP is a voluntary program designed to assist end users,
distributors, and developers in supporting the authors and maintainers
of free software. The practice of making source code freely available
results in the production of very high quality software, but eliminates
the traditional methods by which programmers control the development and
distribution of their work. Software authors who release their work
under a free or open license do so as a means to insure that the
software will become the best that it can be, but they do not take a
vow of poverty. The CDDP lets authors and maintainers communicate their
desires directly to users, distributors, and developers. In this way
users of free software can take action to insure that their favorite
programs will continue to be developed, and that the authors and
maintainers of free software will be supported.

Is this worth pursuing?

Tom