Re: [linux-audio-dev] Memory Debugger

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Memory Debugger
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 04:56:11 EEST

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 15:18, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Wed, 22 May 2002 16:54:58 -0400 (EDT)
> "Richard C. Burnett" <burnett_AT_tality.com> wrote:
>

> > I am looking for a product similar to Purify to use in Linux, any ideas?
>
> I'm not too sure of the full specs of Purify but I have seen the advertising.
>
> Electric Fence may cover a large portion of what Purify does. I have used
> it a number of times and I found it very effective.
>
> Search http://freshmeat.net for it or if you use Debian:
>
> apt-get install electric-fence
>
> Cheers,
> Erik
> --

I just recently had the need for a good malloc debugger. I tried about 3
different solutions and didn't like the results I got with any of them.
I eventually solved my problem with a gdb hardware memory watch. I wish
I had thought of that first. efence seems like it might work for me, but
it has problems with multiple threads or something, because I kept on
getting a SIGILL signal (Illegal Instruction) within the efence code and
could get no trace back in GDB. Its also horrendously slow. Perhaps I
just didn't know what I was doing, if anyone has any tips for using
efence or a better solution, please enlighten me :)

I also tried a program called njamd, but it was tripping up with most of
the shared libraries I was using. Not wanting to go into debugging the
shared libraries and not knowing how to skip over them, I gave up on
that one too. It seemed a lot faster and more thorough (perhaps too much
or maybe it was giving me false alarms) than efence, but it is not being
maintained. It would be cool to have a memory debugger that worked and
didn't kill my machine while it was running. Cheers.
        Josh Green