Re: [linux-audio-dev] Moog VCF in SpiralSynthModular

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Moog VCF in SpiralSynthModular
From: Paul Kellett (paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 10:14:06 EEST

> ... However I was not able to tune any of these
> filters. Moog invented this kind of filter because he wanted to be able to
> play music with it. If you e.g. connect a VCO and the Moog VCF to one CV
> source, they should oscillate at the same frequency.
> Any hint on how I can tune the Moog VCFs ?

More terms in the frequency control, or a lookup table maybe - it might be
enough to calculate an accurate "base" cutoff at each note-on. I'm not
sure the original could be played in tune over more than a couple of
octaves?

> > it is so simple (4 first order lowpasses with overall feedback) but there
> > are so many things you can play around with. I expect everyone who
implements
> > it does it slightly differently!
> Yes, but is it not easy to lose the special properties of the Moog filter
> by using wrong combinations of the parameters ?

There is still a lot more going on in the real thing than in those existing
algorithms - but also there are all sorts of useful filters that are not
exact copies of one particular Moog filter.

Paul Kellett.

  m a x i m | digital audio

    http://mda-vst.com