Re: [linux-audio-dev] Writing a driver for this card: your thoughts?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Writing a driver for this card: your thoughts?
From: Mark Rages (markrages_AT_mlug.missouri.edu)
Date: Fri May 24 2002 - 20:12:29 EEST

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 05:47:07PM +1200, Eliot Blennerhassett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I work for AudioScience (www.audioscience.com)
>
> We make excellent (how could I say otherwise) audio cards.
> I'd like some idea how hard it would be to write an ALSA driver either as a
> compatibility layer on top of our existing driver, or from the ground up. I
> realise that this is rather a broad question, so please consider this an
> invitation to enter discussion, rather than a request for you to go off and do
> a lot of work for me.

You should be on the alsa-dev mailing list. Writing a driver is probably
about as easy as giving the card and a copy of the Windows driver source
to the right person. Otherwise, read the existing drivers for examples.

> Oh - what do you think of the cards' feature set?
>

> Some distinctive things about our cards (not all have all features)
> - they have on board DSP. Code is downloaded by the driver.

Common.

> - they have a lot of on board buffer memory (hundreds of K at least)

Hopefully that doesn't hurt latency.

> - on board DSP handles decompression/compression

Why? Which formats?

> - mixing

Common on consumer cards.

> - samplerate conversion or multiple outputs at different rates

Interesting. Is there an application for this?

> - analog and digital audio I/O, balanced drivers

I don't know what balanced drivers are.

Regards,
Mark