Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal
From: Tom (stillone_AT_snowcrest.net)
Date: Thu May 30 2002 - 21:53:05 EEST

> do you agree that defaults are really a preset?

Only if there are more than one. A system that includes only one
predefined set of parameter values, sets the parameters to these values
during initialization, and always performs an initialization on startup,
is a system that uses defaults that are not presets. Such a system is
too primitive to be fun. A default is a preset when the system includes
multiple predefined sets of parameter values, and the system has some
rules for choosing which set is used at startup.

> since you've already agreed that we need defaults, and since i find it
> hard to argue with the idea that defaults are presets, i personally
> find the conclusion that we actually need an API for presets fairly
> compelling.

Presets are great. From a user perspective, presets mean three things:

1) What parameter values are loaded at startup.
2) Access to a list of predefined sets of parameter values, the presets,
and the ability to apply any one preset at will.
3) Ability to add the current configuration to the list of presets.

2 and 3 are straightforward, but 1 is not. I have used lots of hardware
synths and fx boxes, and there is quite a difference in the way these
things power up. These differences are meaningful in the area of user
friendliness. Here is the basic evolution.

Method 1) The system contains a numbered list of presets and always
installs preset 00 on startup.

Method 2) The system adds the ability to remember the number of the last
preset used before shut down, and installs this preset on startup.

Method 3) The system adds the ability to remember the actual parameter
values in current use without requiring the user to formally save these
values as a preset. On startup this system restores all parameter
values to their last known state.

While I'm not completely familiar with the term, I guess that method 3
creates a single journaled preset that is used only as the default at
startup. In methods 1 and 2 everything that was not explicitly saved
before shutdown is lost.

My current main fx processor is an ensoniq dp4. It is the only piece of
digital hardware in my studio that uses method 3. Everything else uses
methods 1 or 2. From my experience, method 3 is far superior to methods
1 and 2.

Tom