Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA v1.1 Alternative Proposal
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 17:02:09 EEST

On Fri, May 31, 2002 at 09:16:16 +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> I am +1 for RDF (as XML-files).
> I would say, we just need a naming convention for the default-preset (e.g. mysynth/.default.prs).
> This would have the advantage, that the user could e.g. say use current-settings
> as default and they get written to this file.
> Useing such an approach mean no change to the plugins at all.
> What we probably need is a library to handle presets for ladspa hosts (in the same way we need a library which does the GUI).
> This lib could deliver a simple API to hide the naming stuff as well as the fact that there is RDF and XML under the hood.

Agreed. I think the author supplied preset and the users settings should be
subclasses of the same common class*.

I'm still not sure whether this is the best way to represent defualts
though. I think that the defaults really belong with the DSP code, whereas
presets are external data that references it.

I still stand by the default hints ala LADSPA 1.1-latest, but plus presets
for non-default but useful cases.

I would use the defaults to give states where the plugin is active, but
having as little effect on the audio as possbile. This gives the user a
place to start experimenting, so they can tell the effect of the various
ports.

A preset on the other hand I think of as a state where the plugin does
something useful, not a default state.

If you load a plugin and all you get out is a squeeling sound then its
difficult to know here to start to get it doing soething you can relate
to the input audio.

- Steve

* example RDF LADSPA preset fragment:

<ladspa:Preset>
  <ladspa:plugin rdf:resource="&ladspa;1404" />
  <dc:title>Class B amp setting</dc:title>
  <dc:date>2002-05-31</dc:title>

  <ladspa:PortSetting>
    <ladspa:port rdf:resource="&ladspa;1404.1" />
    <rdf:value>0.05</rdf:value>
  </ladspa:PortSetting>

  <ladspa:PortSetting>
    <ladspa:port rdf:resource="&ladspa;1404.2" />
    <rdf:value>0.05</rdf:value>
  </ladspa:PortSetting>
</ladspa:Preset>