Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Mon Jun 03 2002 - 20:08:42 EEST

Hi,
Rob Melby wrote:

> i currently have a simple gtk based app called abrowse for the
> conversion of AKAI S1000/3000 sample libraries at
> http://abrowse.sourceforge.net/

Yeah - I noticed there was some sign of life in one of the daily CVS
updates I did last week :-).

> the current code base is around 3 years old, and i'm embarking on a
> bit of re-architecting. interest has been expressed for generalizing
> the program to include plugins to handle multiple formats.
>
> my current plan is to support akai S1/3k, giga, and possibly roland
> and emu formats. each plugin will support a path like abstraction for
> addressing data, output in mono wav (float or integer?) along with
> some set of properties in a key/value hash (in xml files perhaps?).

You might also want to add Kurzweil format to the list. I happen to have
some sampling CDs from a friend, and I once started investigating a bit
on the filesystem format. Not much, but a start. You might at least use
me as a guinea pig there :-).

> the open question then is whether these features (vague as they are)
> will cover a reasonable set of use cases, and whether there are any
> features others might want for specific applications.

Of course, the ultimate goal would be the Linux variant of something
like Awave (http://www.fmjsoft.com), but I think for a start being able
to get the wav's out of those CDs is already a good target :-).

Frank