[linux-audio-dev] decoding mp3 files

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] decoding mp3 files
From: Kristian Peters (kristian.peters_AT_korseby.net)
Date: Fri Jun 07 2002 - 16:33:03 EEST

Hello.

I have encoded a wav to a mp3. But when decoding it back, the wav is slightly bigger as the original.

for example:
$ ls -l
-rw-r--r-- 1 kristian adlib 4079698 Jun 7 14:24 H-diff.mp3
-rw-r--r-- 1 kristian adlib 44969704 Jun 7 15:03 H-diff.wav
-rw-r--r-- 1 kristian adlib 44965580 Jun 5 13:58 H-src.wav

I read in the lame-FAQ that this is the intended behaviour. (Cause of some technical reason I don't understand yet.) Are there some differences between all the decoders out there ?

I'm currently writing a program that compares wav's and saves the differences to another file. So it's reasonable bad having an extra chunk of bytes at the beginning of the data in the wav-file. Is there any specification how to ignore these extra bytes or to know the size of this extra chunk ? (It's no problem ignoring extra bytes at the end of the wave...)

Thank you !

*Kristian

  :... [snd.science] ...:
 :: _o)