Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Low latency and X11 Direct Rendering
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 02:00:09 EEST

Vincent Touquet wrote:

> Do you know if these
> patches will make it into
> the mainline kernel ?

I offered those to Andrew Morton months ago.
I think it's up to him to decide, Andrew?

> I don't know what objections there
> could be to a conditional_reschedule() ?

I have read the DRM driver sources and didn't find any spinlocks being held
at that time.

Very first version of the patch had some hacks to ethernet drivers and those
had some spinlock issues. I have removed the ethernet parts since then
(January 19). I still have some temptation to do some changes to 3com, intel
and realtek ethernet drivers which have bad latency behaviour in some
situations.

I've been running kernel with the DRM patches since January and it has been
rock solid. However my machines are UP only, so if someone happens to be
running kernel with the patches on SMP machine I would like to know if it
works irl.

Original motivation for the patch set was to create kernel that is able to
run my signal analysis software properly under full load. It does heavy DSP
operations with 8-32 channels of audio and also heavy network and graphics
load.

        - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers