Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio routing issues for linux..
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 14:28:24 EEST

> No, allow me to explain better why I think supporting JACK is
> pointless and why I wouldnt do it. I'll give you all the reasons I can
> think of.
>
> 1-It's not a standard. ALSA/OSS are. If i want to write a driver, i
> will do for those.

define standard.

> 3-Device sharing is pointless for me if most other programs dont
> support JACK.

that is not JACK's problem. its the fault of applications using a ALSA
for output instead of JACK.

[...]
> and i'm not going to write eveything
> jack-oriented for an API that's not really popular.

that way there will never be a new API.

> 8-I dislike the design, I really do. I think the functionality of
> audio routing must be withing alsa-lib. This makes things harder and
> more confusing for end users. Esound and arts are confusing enough,
> and adding an extra layer is worse.

well, here i disagree. i think already ALSA has too much functionality
and adding audio routing to ALSA lib is wrong IMHO.

maybe it would be good to have the API for using a physical or virtual
audio device the same, but it shouldn't be ALSA and it should be
callback based IMHO.

--martijn