Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 06:14:40 EEST

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 19.37, Billy Biggs wrote:
[...]
> The same holds for software as well: interface is almost
> everything. I would much rather have a sequencer with less
> features and a good UI than a fully-featured one that's annoying to
> use. When composing it's important to "forget technology: think
> music".

Yes!

> This was the thought behind my sequencer: ttrk
> (http://div8.net/ttrk). I did a UI that I'm pretty proud of for the
> target platform: basically it's an Alesis MMT8 meets a tracker in
> 80x50 textmode on an old PC, low enough latency to have really
> smooth drumrolls even at high bpm, and it syncs happily to external
> MIDI clock (essential for my setup).
>
> Of course, since I have a market size of 1 (myself), and pretty
> much no interest from the open-source community, the project hasn't
> gone anywhere else. But I'm quite happy with it. :)

Well, I'm *interested* - I've actually downloaded it and looked at
it! :-) Problem is that I don't really like the traditional tracker
idea anymore. I just record stuff from the keyboard and prefer
editing notes using some kind of piano roll view. The typical
sequencer "event list editor" *really* sucks, though. Something more
like an Old Skool tracker interface might work for that part...

Any ideas? Maybe I should look at ttrk again? (I might not be
understanding it's internal structure properly...)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'