Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: nick (nixx_AT_nixx.org.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 12 2002 - 13:19:56 EEST

On Wed, 2002-06-12 at 10:17, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> I have never done any GUI programming before.
>
> Writing these comprehensive widgets
> with cool knobs, smooth slides,
> graphical equalizers etc. seems
> difficult though.

Theyre not *that* difficult really, it's just the initial learning which
is a problem. In fact, i'd say skinned ones are easier to write because
you dont have to write the code to render stuff, its all in a pixmap
already (this is from my experience writing amSynth
http://amsynthe.sf.net). The problem is that everyone likes a different
toolkit.. for example, I used GTK--, and so I wasnt able to just use an
existing GTK bit of code, it was easier to write one from scratch in
GTK--..

> I think an effort should be undertaken to
> get a group of people to write these damn things :)

But yes, a library of these would be damn sweet. in the style of gtkext
(extra widgets for gtk) we could make one, but then the problem is the
user must have this extra library installed, and us developers hate
extra dependencies to worry about (at least *i* do).

Perhaps making a static library would be best.. Or maybe just writing
them and giving out the code so others can incorporate it and/or modify
it for thier needs?

> So we are stuck basicly to implement
> these things for *all* the major toolkits,
> GTK, QT, etc.

Now theres the problem ;-)

Regards,

Nick