Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent.touquet_AT_pandora.be)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 02:54:43 EEST

>My exams are over in just over a week, and I intend on getting my pc
>running linux full time with alsa and stuff. I really want to help do
>/something/ in the linux sound area - at the moment I'm very definetly
>on the needing help stage.
Great, more power to you !!
If you need help, post on the lists, we are here.

Not all people must be coders though :)
I really agree with Maddog Hall when he says
that in the Free Software Community everyone is
important.

If you don't know how ALSA works,
but you maintain a wiki, more power to you.
If you get frustrated with obsolete or
not existing documentation and you write some,
the hours you have put in it will be saved
many more times.

>Is there an open source careers advisor somewhere that can give you a
>questionnaire, find out what you're capable of, and find something for
>you to do? Even if it's designing chromy skins for audio apps or writing
>a complete dumb-ass's (TM) guide on alsa and jack for beginners?
Anything :)

>I like the way mozilla says 'Hey, you don't need to know nothing to join
>in, just do this, testcase that, submit bugs, etc.'
Not a bad idea.
Something like a todo list.
Or where people can vote for 'janitor tasks',
though I find this term a bit on the negative side ...

(cut)
>Sorry... I'm sure that isn't the case, but it feels that way to me
>sometimes - :)
Spill your guts.
We are human, we make mistaks, we want to learn from
anyone who has a grudge and can explain it in
a sensible way even when coding is our second
nature (well not me, but consider Paul ;)
and we are ninja Uebergeeks.

>But yeah, could something like agnula or the lad site have a 'so you
>want to help but you can't compile alsa' or 'things for people with
>little skill but enthusiasm'?
If you have an itch, scratch it.

>Yours, intimidated
Don't be, consider yourself welcome !
Minor point: this is a list for developers,
maybe your points are more on topic on
linux-audio-user.
This is not intended to scare you off :)
Just the bare facts of Internet life.

respect,
Vincent