Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Barry Short (B.Short_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 18:44:59 EEST

> > >You certainly can't play an instrument with 10ms
> > > latency.
> >

>Really? You might want to check my math on this, but if the speed of sound
>in air at 75 degrees F is about 1135 feet/second, then it takes about
>0.00088 seconds, or 0.88 ms, for the sound to travel 1 foot. So in 10 ms
>the sound would only travel about 11.35 feet. If you were playing an
>electric guitar and the amp was 11 feet away, there would be a 10 ms delay
>and I don't think you would have a problem. I've done it many, many times
>without a problem anyway :)
>

>Joe

There's a psychoacoustic phenomenon known as the Haas effect which states
that a direct sound and it reflections (echos) are percieved as a single
sound by the brain, where the time difference between the two is less than
about 30ms. So if the brain can't distinguish between sounds at this level I
think you'd get away with a 10ms delay in your instrument without the rest of
the band calling you names :-)

Barry

--
b.short_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk