RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Men Muheim (muheim_AT_gmx.ch)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 11:01:03 EEST

Maybe the word latency did confuse some people here. Latency is
sometimes used for the OS scheduling time, or for a network packet
delay, or for the audio buffer-size.

In my case I wanted to name the delay from the analogue input signal to
the analogue output signal.

> > > Nonsense! What about tubas ?
> > > I admit a guitar would feel pretty awful w/ 10 ms latency,
> >
> > And yet electric guitarists do it all the time. Ever stood 10 feet
away
> > from your amp? It's no big deal, you get used to it.
>
> Thats true, but doesn't match my experience of trying to play with 512
> sample buffers... although that probably doesn't equate to 512 samples
of
> latency, its probably more.

It is more indeed!

An ALSA audio interface normally uses two double-buffers. One for the
input and one for the output. 512 samples is the size of one half of the
double buffer. Therefore the minimum delay in your test was 2*512/48kHz
= 21.3ms. Usually the ADC/DAC adds another 1-2ms.

Besides that you probably used loudspeakers for your test and therefore
the acoustic delay needs to be added.

> I'l have to try it with a hardware delay line.

Yes! Great idea!