Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri Jun 14 2002 - 18:11:27 EEST

And, that 10ms latency is added to the latency of you from the physical
speakers. So you could be 6 feet away in timing instead of 3.

I also bought near field monitors and I don't even use my guitar amp
anymore, the difference of the shorter sound path is very noticable.

Rick

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 09:43:44 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> [latency and instruments]
> > there is a definite, barely detectable delay between initiation of the note
> > and the perception of the note (which is both by ear and by hand in the case
> > of the horn). The long bore is one reason the horn's attack is quite mellow.
>
> I would describe 10ms as more than "barely detectable" its very noticable.
>
> 5ms (with my inexpert guitar noodling) feels uncomfortable, but is
> barable. YMMV.
>
> 5ms is equivalent to a ~1.7m horn.
>
> - Steve

| T a l i t y | +------+ |