Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network -inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network -inter-host audio routing
From: Eliot Blennerhassett (audioscience_AT_blennerhassett.gen.nz)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 00:50:18 EEST

On 15 Jun 2002 at 5:01, Nelson Posse Lago wrote:

> This would be a proof-of-concept implementation. If it works, I'd like to
> implement a more general idea to do this on top of JACK, maybe even a
> patch to JACK; this would allow us, for instance, to have all the UI work
> done on one machine, all the disk I/O work done on 2-3 other machines, all
> the DSP work spread over a bunch of machines and all the audio I/O done on
> a single machine.

> As Steve Harris also pointed out, a system like this can only output data
> from a single machine, since everything needs to be run in sync with the
> soundcard; compensating for the innacuracies doesn't seem to be adequate
> on this scenario, which is geared IMHO to a recording studio, where plugin
> processing power AND absolute audio quality are mandatory. However, maybe
> adding the possibility of multiple soundcards on different machines with
> drift compensation is an interesting idea and useful in other setups.

If all your machines are located in the same place (audio compute cluster as
opposed to audio internet), then there is the possibility of synching all the
cards to a common clock - no compensation needed.

Not all cards will support this, but many good quality ones will.

- Eliot
http://www.audioscience.com

--
Eliot Blennerhassett                       *:-{)>
AudioScience, Inc. (New Zealand Office)