Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 14:02:24 EEST

>> While I understand the stated reasons for 192ksps, I wonder if the effects a
>re
>> really audible. Double-blind testing would be required.
>
>I've done the test. I listened to a CD recorded SACD and a standard CD,
>same CD player. The difference was very audible, and a lot of it to me

did you do this double-blind?

>Jitter is a serious problem in stereo equipment. Ever listened to the
>difference between the coax spdif and the TOSlink (from toshiba) on a
>standard stereo? Regular cheap ($300+) stereos do not resync the digital
>data coming down the light pipe.

i think that a slightly more correct description would be that they do
not use the sample clock inherent in the signal, but instead use their
internal system clock to extract sample values from the data
stream. this causes an effect similar to jitter even if the internal
clock is extremely jitter free, because its almost guaranteed to not
run at the exact same speed as the source clock.

i have to say that i can't imagine the use of the setup you've
described? why would run a digital signal into a cheap stereo? either
use the onboard converters on the CD/DVD player, which will avoid
jitter problems, or use an external system that clocks from the data
stream.

> Because of this, the digital data in the
>TOSlink, by circuit design and the cheap plastic fiber, has clock jitter

i don't think that's true. the same connector, same circuit, and same
fibre is used for ADAT, and the clock jitter there is good enough for
Apogee :)

--p