Re: [linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Dithering idiots
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 17 2002 - 15:10:20 EEST

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:57:22PM +0100, Richard Bown wrote:
> > i don't quite get it. when you render a waveform on the screen, you're
> > normally not doing anything like interpolation. you're subsampling the
> > amplitude waveform to a given frames-per-pixel density.
>
> I guess the simple answer to that is to LPF the audio file to remove any
> high freq components (it's a kick drum so I doubt it) and see what the
> preview of that looks like.

i thought the agreed upon way to do this is to find the max and min
points for a block of audio at some resolution and just draw them.

in order to keep peaks from popping into adjacent pixels, you should
make sure that all your resolutions are divisible by a common factor.
the way i've done it and seen it done is to make the resolutions powers
of 2.

here's an example of my viewer thingy :

http://www.arcsin.org/editor.jpg

there was a long discussion about this awhile back too.

        rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu